Friday, September 28, 2007

Who rocks the cradle?

Thoughts on the book of Esther

God doesn't need to reveal Himself for us to know He's there. Like the wind, He moves invisibly though our lives, softly reassuring us of His presence, sometimes powerfully altering the lanscape of our circumbstance.

Its the only book (i think) that doesnt mention "God"! yet i couldnt help but acknowledge that the scriptwriter is definitely none other than Him. Esther is unique that its just like the dramas played out in my everyday life. No parting of the red sea, no burning bush, no angelic visitors...(though scary, it could have been easier that way!) cause its easy to see God in the miraculous, but not so in the mundane.

A survery of her story is a good reminder to Respond to the QUIET PROMPTINGS of God. I really really love Mordecai's challenge: "...and Who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this?" (4:14). I love this verse! Esther realized that she was raised to a such position for a reason, but to understand that reason, she has to ignore the palatial surrounding and listen to the still,small voice of providence. And Esther did!

"Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10)

God has set out for me a life where the action never stops. After almost 7 yrs of studying and 2 yrs of doing hospital work, i find it really hard to just sit still and look for God somewhere in the backstage. But now I'm learning...again.

Its so tempting to be up there in action again, to do what im trained to do. I love my work, i love being with the patients, i love the ER and the wards. Some people dont really understand why i chose to do what im doing now. Why i chose to stop for a while...and somehow divert a bit from the usual course. Outwardly, i seem to be very sure of what i want, of what to pursue. With the way my parents brought us up, maybe I am indeed.

But times do really come when a lot of others things have to be considered - - God, family, friends, relationships. I remember in High school when somebody told me: "wag ka na mag-doctor, di ka na mag-aasawa!" I vividly remembered my reply: "Im ready to give up any career if i had to choose between it and my own family". Still true? hmmm...depends on who I meet. :-)

"It's a "career-delay" they said. but i dont know, i just convice myself that maybe God has given me such a time as this indeed for a reason, just like how He maneuvered Esther's path...

1 comment:

karlmd said...

hi marge! i didn't know you had a blog. i only knew of this because of sitemeter (one of your guests was referred to my blog through your link -- thanks! hehe). anyway, i've only read this entry but i'm already blessed by what you've written. God indeed has a path set out for us and other people might think your waiting is a distraction (I've had to deal with something like this awhile back) but i say if God's leading you to this season in your life, then it's probably for the best. when are you taking the MLE's? i'm waiting for my score. only then do i decide if i'm taking step 2 or do residency here. if you wander through my blog again, be sure to make your presence known. haha.